Friday, March 19, 2010

Truth be told.....

...sometimes I think I have become too old to be a doctor.


Denny summarising how I usually feel postcall period.


Seriously.

It was a really bad call last night. Clinic was unsatisfying due to the fact that due to the absence of the boss, I couldn't really decide on whether I should get the procedure arranged or whether the patient needed further work up. It was pretty quiet in the afternoon, which should have warned me that a rocky night lies ahead of me.

So I ended up with an intra abdominal injury, a guy who broke almost all the fingers in his hand and both bones of his forearm, another who basically smashed his shin bone, a guy whose bone of the big toe peeped out of his wound and the icing on the cake, a 'mat lalok' who broke basically half of his jaw.

It was at 3 am this morning when I was contemplating that perhaps I should take a different pathway to what I am doing now. Maybe I should give being a KK (Klinik Kesihatan) MO another try (urgh, I take that back - nggak mungkin walau seribu tahun lagi [no way, not in a thousand years]) - working office hours and having passive call can be rather attractive. I had just spent 5 minutes trying to elicit cervical tenderness in the almost unresponsive mat lalok and the xray was actually taunting me. I was exhausted to the bone, my throat had a bitter taste and I can barely keep my eyes open.

It is at times like these that I contemplate, 'Surely there is more to life than this!' - but as it has all the times before, the statement is thrown into the void that is the dark of the night - unanswered as it has been before.

Because I know, despite feeling that way at 3 am this morning, I will still wake up excited about getting to work. I love looking at an xray and figuring out ways I can make it better. I love the thrill of working out where I should place my incision, which plane I should be dissecting on and how I choose to close my incision. Despite having staples, time permitting, I would always prefer suturing my wounds. All these run through my head as I scrub myself clean.

So I persevere with being awake at 3 am when I have been working since 8 am the previous day because there is always hope that my next call will be a cool one. and even if it turns out to be equally 'jonah' - I hope to still have a sliver of hope and sense of humour to laugh it off and say, "Tis life!".

3 comments:

hafizahmaha said...

First of, that cat is sangat cantik. Secondly, I'd like to steal some of that enthusiasm of yours. Thirdly, I too think about resigning to a more humane position like being a Pathology MO only to find myself helping out in ICU the next day when I'm not even supposed to be there. I can't explain why I did that. Maybe I'm a masochist or an adrenalin junkie. Maybe...

Sue Tiramisu said...

Hafizah-
If Denny can speak he will probably say thank you.

It's probably not enthusiasm but me being in denial on how ridiculous my work life can be.

Zetty said...

at times like this, just remember what Ultraman always said..BERTAHAN! (after voice over hehe).


Hang in there doc!