Saturday, April 21, 2007

Why I worry for my race's future..

First of all, with this post, I am in no way declaring myself as a picture of perfection. Jauh panggang dari api. I'm doing OK and can always improve in many ways...

But, I worry when I go to the newstand or book stores and I see the Malays only reach for Harian Metro or Bacaria and Perdana. When it comes to magazines, I only see them buying Mangga or URTV or Media Hiburan. I worry when I accidentally eavesdrop on a group of Malay kids' conversation, all I hear is what a disaster it is that Siti has put on weight and dressing more provocatively some more.

They say they don't buy English mags or newspapers because they have a hard time understanding, yet if they don't read, I can't see them improving and it's all just a vicious cycle.

I worry when I watch TV and I see parents dragging school-going kids to shows that easily ends at 11 pm when kids need 8-10 hours of sleep to nurture their thinking capabilities. I worry when I see makciks jumping up and down with excitement in their seats when they see Aizat rolling his hips to the current Spanish hit.

I worry when parents start to see the idiot box (and there's a reason why the TV is called that) as a substitute baby sitter and prefer to plonk their kids to Barney or Cinderella or worst still, Kuliah Cinta rather than read a story to them.

I worry when kids get dragged to the cinemas by entertainment-hungry parents, and end up watching Ghost Rider or Pontianak Harum Sundal Malam. I remember being brought to the the cinemas but all we got to watch was harmless Disney animation.

I worry when I see young, innocent girls turn up at my hospital, pregnant yet unwed and in despair as the bf is a drug addict yet they can't leave the relationship because they oh-so-love-him-so-much!

I worry when Malay kids tend to take the easy way out and opt for easier degrees and then end up without a job later. I worry that our education system is churning out regurgitators rather than thinkers.

I'm a worry wort tonight, yes I am....

3 comments:

sina said...

hear! hear! i share your sentiment doc...

Anonymous said...

I have started worrying about this before I left home and no suprises things are worse than better. But trying to propagate the idea is somewhat a battle field.

Faham tapi tak register.. susah tu..

xx

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.