Saturday, September 12, 2009

Post call blues

There are calls that when I am off home, I feel satisfied, knowing that my patients are okay and are getting the treatment that they should.

and There are calls that I've left feeling exhausted and depressed.

Yesterday's was one of those.

The 60 plus pakcik had been unstable since the night before and he was already very ill by the time I reviewed him yesterday morning.

Unsurprisingly his condition deteriorated. Nothing I did appeared to help and the worst thing was I didn't really know what was wrong with him.

Finally I told his wife that there was nothing much that I can offer. He passed away at about half eight this morning and I'm left feeling dejected - was it my ignorance or lack of knowledge that contributed towards his demise? I hope not, but I am feeling pretty down nevertheless.

No comments: