Sunday, June 08, 2008

Metaphor

I love watching House M.D. - yes I know it is only acting and the actors barely understand what came out of their mouths but since I already (sometimes) exhibit House's attitude towards (some) patients, I figure I should at least posess a portion of his diagnotic skills.

When House analyses his cases, one of his trademarks is his metaphors. Which is a brilliant idea, because not only it gives House his character, it also makes all the medical mumbo jumbo comprehensible to the audience. Genius, right?

But anyway, I'm not here to write about House - I've just spent the day cleaning the house, doing laundry, turning my Kenari back into a car (it was a garbage dump disguised as a car previously) and attempted to get my Ciki checked by the vet assistant (she developed a swelling at the suture site - which I hope is only a seroma and not an abscess or a hernia) but the vet was closed (probably on account of the 'Pertandingan Kucing' that just went on the day before). Plus, four of my youngest furkids have developed a cold - poor Che'We was sneezing and coughing and tossing and turning about to make himself comfortable - and I can only get my animal decongestants tomorrow!

My 13th warrior has been named Che'Ruru or just Ruru. Her eyes are slightly better but I think Ruru was the one who spread all the germs around. She's still having some residual upper eyelid swelling and pus discharge but I think she will survive by how she has been jumping all over and under the place.

Shall I write about the recent petrol price increase like everyone has, I wonder? It's been 4 days now but people are still talking about it. When they are not associating you-know-who's name with various profanities, they are lamenting about how difficult life will be now when they could barely make ends meet before.

I just want to share a metaphor I read somewhere which describes simply what the govt means by subsidy.

A father catches a fish in the river behind his house. He then cooks the fish and serves it for his son to eat.

Just as son is about to tuck in, father asks for RM10 as a payment for the meal.

Son asks - Why should I pay you RM10 when it costs you nothing or almost nothing to catch it and cook it?

Father says - Because if you were to buy this fish outside, it would cost you RM15. So I am doing you a favour by only asking for RM10!

So, 'father' in this story is the government, 'son' is the rakyat and I hope you get the point of the story. Perhaps I am sounding naive but isn't it laughable that the PM talks about the so called subsidy like he is doing us a favour?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And still variants?