Friday, September 12, 2008

Kitty update!

The mummy cat which I brought home from the hospital along with her two kittens (the black and the orange one) has given birth last week!

Last Thursday morning, we were preparing for sahur and lo and behold mummy cat had already completed delivering her 4 kittens.

Two of the kittens had similar colourings as Bubu (the daddy cat; Bubu your absence is missed daily...), one is a tortie and the other completely black.


Takde kerja lain melainkan makan dan tido.



Ini anak kucing ke apa nie...?? Hahaha...


Wrong way little kitty!!


Bubu junior

Other than that, the little white kitten which was the sole survivor of the three siblings has also passed away a few days ago.


Sadly, I was not able to save any of them.

Everytime a kitten I rescue dies, I want to make myself promise to never bring anymore home. When they are too little when they are separated from mummy cat, their bodies lack the natural immunity that the mummy milk provides so most of the time, they usually don't survive if they get an infection while awaiting their 2 month old vaccination. I try my best, but I am racked with guilt every time a kitten dies; it's as if I have failed them.

The other kitten I took from the hospital's canteen - we are calling her 'kurap tinger' for the moment - is also doing well. We call her that because when I first found her, both of her ear flaps were covered by scaly 'kurap'. I first met her while doing rounds and my first attempt at bringing her home was foiled when she ran away. I kept looking for her and she even turned up in one of the wards while I was doing my on call, but it was only about 2 weeks later that I picked her up as she was begging for food at the canteen.


Ever so sweet and manja.

She is lovely now - not a hint of 'kurap' on her ears, thanks to a jab we got at the vet - but still needs some fattening up. She is half the weight of my other cats. At first, the other cats gave her a hard time and shunned her, being the newbie but she seems to be doing better now. She still can't give up her life as a stray though - most of my cats don't wander too far from home even after being let out of the cages - and often would explore the surrounding territories and spend the night outside.

How many now, do I hear you ask? Nineteen, the last time I counted.......okay, will definitely stop now.......

1 comment:

CATZ said...

hi doc..the last photo reminds me of my butet...muka sama sebijik...
tapi dah hilang...tapi i still put its photo kat blog..dekat sidebar kanan..muka sebijik lah dgn butet i..iskk...kalau rindu butet..i pi blog u lahhh..