Friday, September 12, 2008

A leisurely fasting afternoon....

We had the house to ourselves this afternoon.

We were told there was going to be an interruption in the electricity supply starting from 9 am and possibly till 6 in the evening. Thankfully, electricity was restored at about 11. I proceeded to give my kids' cages a good scrub and a mini make over.

When Abg returned from Friday prayers, he suggested we drive to Jerteh. Why, you may ask? Well, when I was working in Setiu, one of my staff nurses mentioned a certain stall in Jerteh selling 'ayam pusing' (I think they are known as ayam golek in the west coast) and the 'ayam pusing's sold here are supposedly so delicious and so popular that most of its patrons book their chickens early in the mornings and the chickens are usually sold out way before 5 pm.

True enough, the first time we went, we were disappointed as there were no more chickens left! and it was barely past 5pm.

But the first time we bit into its juicy flesh, we knew all the hype about them were justified. The spices are there just to tingle your tastebuds but not too overpowering. The flesh literally comes away from the skin and melts in your mouth.

It is with this memory lingering in my mind that we left home for our >50km journey to Jerteh, Terengganu. If you can't grasp the significance (or the ridiculousness, haha), imagine driving from Batu Caves to Putrajaya (on your day off) just to get hold of a chicken.


I love taking drives with Abg.

The stall sits almost unnoticeably under the Jerteh bridge. In fact, there are no other stalls there. When we first got to know about this, I think the fowls were selling for RM15 per chicken (already marginally more expensive than other 'ayam pusing's) and this year they were going for RM19 and RM20 per piece!


The best 'ayam pusing' ever.

After getting 'buka puasa' sorted out, we decided to take a leisurely drive to Kuala Besut and check out the fish market at Tok Bali.


View from the bridge somewhere in Pasir Puteh, I think. Haha.


View of the other side of the bridge.

They've built a proper market in Tok Bali. Right on the riverbanks. Actually, I wanted to take pictures of lithe young fishermen hauling in the day's catches but I guess a solitary cat wandering near the jetty will just have to make do.



Do click on piccies for better images.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

salam ziarah dari bumi Dublin.. jemput2lah ke blog hamba.. :)

scrubber said...

wah this is so close to mum's home. We shall give this ayam a taste. Raya mana? Come to my mum's house!

Anonymous said...

When you come home to selayang, get me this ayam pusing... I'll pick it up from your house lepas raya nanti! From you-know-who@cardiff@worscester

Sue Tiramisu said...

scrubber -
A'ah - mmg dekat your home pun. actually that same day, we took the long route home and went past Hotel Mar tapi kitorg tak ingat where the turning into your mum's house is..hehe...will you be back in Malaysia for Raya? Excellent time to show off little bundle of joy...hope Noah will enjoy his first sojourn to Malaysia!

Anon -
Alas, I think the marvelousness of this ayam pusing will be lost should I save it in the freezer for you....so you will just have to take my word for it..! Hehe.