Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Nearly postcall ramblings

It's now about quarter past 6 in the morning. I have been up since quarter past 4 attending to a makcik with fluid overload. I admitted her last night after she complaint of fever and difficulty in breathing despite attending regular hemodialysis.

I had initially started her on antibiotics to treat the chest infection - but my staff nurse called me at about 4 informing me that her oxygen saturation was slowly decreasing. When I went up to see her (had to get up to review a case of PE anyway), she had the appearance of a typical fluid overload patient: sitting up, leaning against the cardiac table and having difficulty breathing and talking. Stayed for an hour stabilising her and now I can't sleep.

I hate that I am such a light sleeper when I am on call. I know that some people can just nod off after reviewing a case and wake up totally refreshed 2 hours later, ready to start work. Me, I am wide awake at 5 am and will turn into light headed zombie come noon.

I completed the book 'Ayat-Ayat Cinta' a few days ago. My interest in novels nowadays come and go. One moment I am engrossed in the latest Alaf 21 publications and will buy the books in container-loads, and the next I just couldn't care less.

A book has to capture my interest in, at most, the first 15 pages. If I can't be bothered to know what happens next, it's collecting dust on the shelf for you then. 'Ayat-Ayat Cinta' took some time and effort to get 'acclimatised' to. There were liberal use of Arabic phrases and Indonesian words which weren't really a hindrance thanks to the footnotes. But what interested me most was how the writer really made an effort to introduce the main character and build him up in such a way that made me feel I really knew Fahri in person.

A good writer will bring the reader into his world and this author certainly did this. I felt the scorching heat as Fahri made his way to his lessons and felt how refreshing the 'ashir mangga' as our hero drank it.

I fell in love, not with Fahri, unlike the four female characters in this book, but with Islam itself. The author protrayed Islam with such beauty, wisdom and grace. The 'dakwah's are subtle and never condascending nor patronizing.

The book speaks of love but not in the typical way - it transcends not just love between husband and wife (Aisha, I heart you!) but among Men and with Islam itself.

Haven't seen the movie but heard a lot of details were left out (as movie adaptions are wont to do) but will probably do that soon.

Anyhoo, pejam celik, on call post call, can you believe it's nearing the end of the year already!? Seriously, the phrase "Time flies" doesn't do the reality justice!

No comments: