Saturday, June 13, 2009

Of substance

Sometimes I wish I could write great things. Things that make people think and things that teaches people and change lives. All my blog does is serve as a platform for me to rant about my work and my mundane life.

Though I hope mine is a tad more interesting than the ones who give a complete description of what he did and what he ate bla bla. I prefer blogs which give an insight on what people are thinking and what makes him/her do whatever it is that they do.

Jaded as I am, as I trawl through this massive cyberworld, all I seem to come across are mindless youths, whom, when asked about a memorable quote from a film, would volunteer "You've got to move it, move it" from Madagascar. Maybe it is the generation gap, but come on....!

I stumbled upon this blog after someone in the forum pasted his article on "Why do we get married?".

Below is an extract:

Satu soalan paling kontroversi: Kenapa kita perlu berkahwin?

Jawapannya: Untuk memenuhi fitrah manusia yang mahukan seks. Ini hakikat. Sigmund Freud mengatakan ini dalam istilah saintifik dipanggil sebagai 'libido', iaitu kemahuan paling dalam dan tersembunyi dalam diri manusia yang dipanggil 'id'. Pemikiran manusia secara dasarnya dibahagi kepada tiga: id,ego dan super-ego.

Id adalah kehendak yang paling asas seperti makan, minum, pergi jumpa Encik Tan untuk pelaburan*(ini ke tandas), dan seks juga tidak terkecuali. Seks adalah satu aktiviti pembiakan kalau dalam bahasa saintifik, untuk terus mengekalkan speisis untuk terus berkembang. Dalam kes kita, homo-sapiens.

Ego adalah peraturan yang kita sendiri cipta untuk mengawal kemahuan id kita. Ini seperti prinsip hidup dan kepercayaan diri sendiri. Manakala super-ego adalah undang-undang yang dicipta oleh negara atau agama atau adat untuk mengawal kemahuan id kita.

Jadi dalam kes seks, itu adalah id kita, dan super-ego (agama) melarang kita melakukan seks kecuali apabila berkahwin. Manakala ego kita pula ialah kita malu kalau masyarakat tahu yang kita lakukan seks sebelum kahwin.

Bearing in mind what I usually come across, here is a malay male youth, freshly graduated who has actually read Freud!

So I spent a few hours reading his entries. At one glance people might brush him off as an angry rebellious young thing who has decided to blame everyone and everything around him but read a little deeper and you will discover an intelligent, well read and most importantly passionate person. and what passion he has!

He constantly states his dislike of our current education system, who seems to produce regurgitators than thinkers. Which is something I can relate to.

A few days ago, radio Era had a mini competition for parents to win an opportunity for their kids to go on air. One parent, when asked which of the following is a famous equation - E=mc(squared) and E=my, confidently gave the wrong answer. Another parent couldn't give the correct scientific formula for water.

Is it me? Am I sounding a teensy bit snobbish because 'of course la you cannot expect to remember something you learn in school ten years ago' or 'of course la you think it's easy, you did science in high school' but - seriously?

Maybe what is really worrying me is that, these same parents could have easily told you who the last winner of One in A Million or Akademi Fantasia. Whose home is filled with Media Hiburan, URTV and Mangga.

I digress.

To me, he is an example of what a well rounded Malaysian youth should be. Sure, he has radical opinions, but most importantly, he actually has one! In a world where we are surrounded by 'Tidak apa' attitude, here is a young man who is passionate in what he believes in.

and reading his blog showed me that there are more like him and it gives me hope.

1 comment:

MQ said...

Hi Docyana, stumbled upon yr blog from sarah's, been reading every now and then (once I could get some me-time from the little one)

anyway, couldn't agree more with you about parents these days who seem don't care about educating their children the right way..they are the one who put their priority wrongly and later will blame the system, the education, the govt for not "taking care" of their kids..

and another issue, about the opinion matter, it's hard to be vocal when what you view is not in the norm, it's like you're trying to go against the tide and being hateful for being who you really are..huhu! I've been trying to be myself and believe me it's ain't easy..