Thursday, June 04, 2009

Small talk

I'm never very good at small talk.

Whenever I am in a situation where I am faced with spending some time with a stranger, I am more than happy to sit in silence and think about other stuff than making small talk. Perhaps other people are uncomfortable being in complete silence. Perhaps they find the lack of conversation unnerving, that they'd rather talk about mundane stuff that they will definitely forget in the next moment, rather than sit quietly.

Have you noticed the topics that often crop up during small talks? What do you do, where are you from, what does your husband do, how many children do you have...yadayadayada. Wouldn't it be interesting if, for instance, while waiting for a taxi, that the complete stranger says to you, Do you prefer KFC or McDonalds? Wouldn't THAT be a great conversation opener?

A few weeks ago I was in this situation. I was heading to KK for my conference and was in the plane with another MO whom I know by name only. He joined HRPZ's Ortho Department after I had left. He ended up sitting next to me. I smiled politely as I introduced myself and acknowledged him. Anyway, we were sitting at the airport waiting for our transport to take us to the hotel when he started asking me things about myself. I answered politely, with just enough information without being too chatty. I tend to do that when I am nervous, then you will find me yapping about my cats and how expensive litter is.

When people ask me how many kids I have and I answer none, I noticed that almost all will follow that answer with, "How long have you been married?". Why is that, I wonder? Maybe if my answer was "Oh, just recently", they will feel relieved that they had broached a potentially sensitive matter?

One other guy whom I was talking with while waiting for a court case came up with an unconventional response to my answer. He said, "Oh, don't worry. I only have one and have absolutely NO intention of having more!"

Anyway, I digress. After he asked me that and I gave my answer, I found myself adding, which sounded more like an afterthought, "I had a miscarriage last year" - and I am wondering now why at that time I felt compelled to explain my situation by divulging an information as personal as that.

6 comments:

hafizahmaha said...

i prefer mcd. i don't know why.

just an afterthought, sape mo yang busybody itu?

Zaiti said...

I am with you on this one. I don't know why small talks in malaysia involves marriage and kids!!Sigh.. Macam takde benda lain nak cakap. I keep getting funny and sympathetic looks from neighbours and sedara mara cos I am not married yet. Which is the lesser of the two evils? As if my purpose of a woman not getting married makes me a complete failure as a woman. Ho hum

Sue Tiramisu said...

Hafizah-
I love KFC's chicken, McD's fries and A&W's rootbeer....bleh? Hehe.

Zaiti-
Nok buek camno - our society's measure of 'success' for a female is still i)how early you got married ii)how many children you have and occasionally iii)how many gold bangles you have on your hands..hehe.

Sue Tiramisu said...

Hafizah-
Eeee....tak leh la ckp...but he no longer works in HRPZ lah...

Zaiti said...

- or the gold tayar basikal around your neck too.. haha.. u are so wise my fren! xx

MQ said...

some people are just bitchy when it comes to this child issue, what if the person has suffered several miscarriage or has been trying for years but couldn't conceive..wouldn't it hurt her feeling by quickly giving out such remarks..

when I decided not to have any kid right away after we get married, all the relatives and family members went into some sort of culture shock..and with that came lots of advice and suggestion, even some ugutan like what if I never have any kid for planning so early..nanti mati tak de sapa nak doa la, nanti dah tua, tak de sapa nak jaga..bla bla..

now after 5 years of marriage and one child, I get this funny look that says " oh, anak kecik lagi, korang baru kawin ke? "

and when I said, I think one child is enough, they will give this rolling eyes like how could a woman says such thing..mcm la they are the one yg nak pregnant, beranak and raise the children..huhu!

some people just can't keep their mouth shut..sigh!