Friday, February 12, 2010

Weekend pondering

I wonder what changes people. Especially in matters of principles and religion.

What, for example, would change a demure conservative kampung girl into a wine-drinking, pissed-at-the-pub type. NOT that I know anyone like that. It is, an example, like I mentioned.

What drives a person, to do or decide to do something that has been instilled into him/her as wrong?

Stealing is wrong. Killing is wrong. - so you know you won't do it.

Is it any different with drinking or sleeping around? Surely the principle is the same.

Was it hard the first time you took that glass of wine in your hand and drank it, I wonder? For surely you have been raised a good Muslim - if not by your parents, then you were taught by your teachers.

Was it the pressure of friends, or were you simply curious or were you ashamed of being labelled a prude for not drinking? Maybe if you didn't join in the fun, bosses would pass you over for the promotion or project you were eyeing.

It is a hard thing to do to be a good Muslim nowadays.

2 comments:

hafizahmaha said...

i have a feeling you personally know this person.

when i was in college, there was a moment when i have doubts about a lot of things which would be too much to elaborate on in a comment box. some people say it's the devil playing with the mind of the doubtful. but i've been there.

how should i say this. faith is something bestowed upon by god, i think. you can search for it, but until god opens up your heart, you're lost. i think someone prayed for god to save me, because my logics just couldn't comprehend what religion and god is all about.

you do realize that in religion, we try to make logic of a law instead of using logic to create a law (we don't create law (hukum) btw, god does). this is a reversed process.

maybe what that kampung girl needs is someone to pray for her too. we're human. some things are beyond our capabilities and that's when we ask god for help. just don't be over-critical, angry or pushy coz that will only drive them away.

Sue Tiramisu said...

The post wasn't really referring to one specific person - after all, it would be cheap and tasteless should I use this blog to give a low blow to someone regardless of how much I dislike him/her.

It is more of an observation of all the people I know actually.

Least of all am I putting myself on a pedestal and labelling little old me as being holier than thou.

I have had those moments of doubt and still constantly do - I guess maybe I still have someone praying for me......