Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wordy Wednesday

I have had a couple of weeks of hecticness lately. Travelling to and fro Machang, Kelantan to Kuantan, Pahang may seem fun when I was 5 years younger but now it is just a hassle.

Though, having said that, the thing I love most about it is the amount of time I get to spend with Abg. Even after all these years I still find it very interesting finding out what he thinks about certain issues and the goings on in the world. At home he may be busy with meeting up with friends and running errands but in the car, he is all mine.

Sometimes he would tell me about what his mates have been up to. I still get surprised (maybe naively so) when he tells me so and so who has gotten married to wife number 2 or 3 or 4 - or maybe I am that naive. or when he tells me of the antics of a particular acquaintance who is old enough to have grandchildren, in a club - in the name of entertainment.

Sometimes he would tell me about his childhood, memories of his late mother and what he plans to do in the future. At times like this I am glad that both of us are genuinely enjoying each other's company - interrupted only when I doze off and go snoring my head off (which I do quite often nowadays - must be the age).

I pointed out to Abg recently that I think men just love having a sweet young thing (SYT) by their side - hanging on to everything they say and looking up at them with adoring eyes. My fellow male MOs (current and in the past) do this all the time. Even with a wife and kids at home, some ask SYT housemen out for drinks and meals and most say that's how far it goes.

I guess it offers them a reprieve from the boring humdrum of home life. I guess it is human nature to yearn for what we don't have.

"If you had a SYT on the side, would you tell me?" - I asked Abg recently. He laughed loudly and said "Of course not!"

His laugh was not forced and his answer seemed spontaneous with just the right amount of incredulousness that I am placated - I hope he realises that behind that question lies another one that I can barely voice out and hope to never be true.

1 comment:

wky9683 said...

I think it's down to the fact that we, guys are being idolized or something of that sort. That some girls just listen to what we say or ask them to do. Can't lay the blame on the guys only, what are those girls thinking when they are going out with the guys? Haha!