Monday, December 19, 2011

Digging a hole in the rain

Six cats in three weeks.

I am never rescuing strays ever.

It must be that scrawny yellow tabby who came meowing for food. I noted that my younger kittens started to get sick after that. We didn't see him for quite a while when he suddenly appeared at my door last night, pathetically thin, drooling at the mouth, tail crusted with dried feces. His eyes were almost completely shut by the discharge, he was meowing pitifully but I could not risk my older cats getting what he has.

He was still under my car this morning, and still on the porch this afternoon and already dead by the time I got home.

A dead cat always makes me sad - even when it's not my own.

So, even with the drizzle outside, I took the 'cangkul' and dug a shallow grave for the nameless cat.

I learnt that the 'cangkul' isn't built for digging graves. After about 10 minutes of digging (I wonder what the neighbours were thinking, this baju kurung-clad lady huffing and a puffing digging a hole in the rain at dusk), I placed him in it and buried him when I noticed his two hind feet were protruding through the soil. I managed to redistribute the soil so the whole cat is covered.

May you rest in comfort, yellow one.

1 comment:

aisha said...

akak, i like ur love to the cats.. may allah rewards u if not now but later for ur kindness. dont stop please caring for the cats.

ur SR