Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Dah demam?



It's that time of the year again. Yes, apart from wedding season when you can't drive 2 metres without encountering one kenduri kahwin after another, it's Akademi Fantasia season!

Last year, ASTRO caused quite a stir when they announced that there won't be any Akademi Fantasia (AF) this year. I said, takkan lah! How can you abandon your most successful money churning enterprise? In the second year of AF, apparently 15 million SMS votes were cast. With tie-ins including SMS competition, endorsements, magazine sales, think of how many million ringgits ASTRO made? So I confidently told Abang last year, mesti ada lah AF tahun depan....and I am right, as usual...hehe..

Again I am amazed at human nature. Reality TV is fantastic for study of human behaviour, I tell you. I love reality TV; while I was in med school in UK, every saturday evening, nothing can tear me away from Big Brother. I booed at Melanie the tease, I gawped at what's-his-name's hard on and I cheered when Craig won. I guess it's the voyeur in me. I'm sure there's a voyeur in every one of us; that's why reality TV is so popular. It's the same reason why we peek through the curtains to watch our neighbours and their new bought sofa/car/girlfriends.

Everyone seems to have their favourite and some go a step further by setting up fan clubs for their favourites. They pledge their undying love and devotion (and money) week after week and sob hysterically when their star gets the boot. Puh lease la.... org tu tak tau pun kau exist, tau tak...? Don't be a saddo la...get a life. Kau derma kat tabung BersamaMu lagi baik. Some of these pathetic beings actually admit to spending RM100+ permonth for SMS votes. Gila ke apa...?

Anyway, I watch it purely for fun. When I go home, we all get together at Ma's house to watch it on TV. We all have our own favourites - ....I know Ma loved Aidil from the last season and she pestered us to vote for Mawi in the finals. It's one of the very few TV programmes that she would watch with us. It's a great way to get your atuk, nenek, cucu and cicit together. THAT is what I love about AF.

p/s: my favourite to date - Faizal...:) :)

No comments: