Thursday, November 01, 2012

Invincible no more

What is it about youth and how it can make one feel invincible? It does, doesn't it? You feel like you can do anything, stay up all night and still be up for a 5-hour shopping marathon the next day - though in my case, stay awake for 36 hours doing oncall and still able to hold a decent conversation at the end of it.

I was someone who rarely got sick, even as a child. Apparently I ate a lot, but rarely became ill - and as far as I can remember, I would maybe get the sniffles once a year and be out of it after just a couple of days. THIS, despite eating junkfood and not exercising.

Now, with my advancing age, even with eating better (can't say I have improved on the exercising part) - I keep getting hit with one thing or the other: first it was the cough which lasted for 4 ridiculous weeks then of course there was the ongoing knee pain and back pain which comes and goes as it pleases.

I have been down with the worst ear infection for the past few days - it was so bad that I was practically sobbing because of the pain. One night, I actually took two Panadols, one Voltaren and two Celebrex (in other words, a lot) before I could have two hours of pain free sleep.
 
The world feels like it's shrouded in cotton balls. Everything seems muted. You don't really realise how much you take your five senses for granted till you lose one of it, do you?

Even being home makes you jittery because you know you can't hear it when people come to your door or that you may miss the whistling of the kettle on the stove. All I wanted to do was get myself cooped up in my room and surf the net where it is safe.

No comments: