Saturday, May 16, 2009

Why I sometimes hate my job...

It is 1 am and I am just sitting down to eat my dinner. It's mee hoon, so that's a good thing. It's only been three days since my jaunt in Java but it already seems to be in a distant past. Almost like I dreamt it all. Reality sure can give you a hard slap on the face.

But, good thing is, three days, one on call and one PTK exam later, I will be off to KK for the MOA Conference. I've already looked at the programme and made plans during the times that I can skive off. I wonder if boss will notice me missing.

Abg will be joining me on Friday and we'll only be flying home on Sunday so that gives us about 24 hours to go pearl and 'ikan bilis' shopping. I remember having good memories of KK so I hope this trip won't spoil it. I'm already salivating over the mee hun sup ayam in Sinsuran that we had the last time we were there.

Anyway, we had a patient who was complaining that we were late in attending to his son who had bleeding from the nose. He had come this morning and since the bleeding subsided some, I allowed him home and told him to come again should the problem recur.

When he turned up at about 10 thirty just now, all the beds were full. Basically all the lethargic pakciks have run out of 'ok' power (ok - Kelantanese for persevere) and have decided that they will turn up at the casualty that day. One relative of my staff had had bilateral lower limb weakness for 2 weeks and was just now insisting on being admitted. I had just pronounced the death of a 4 year old with malignancy and was still tying up loose ends but then proceeded to deal with the case of the bleeding nose.

Just as we had registered the case to be admitted, then comes the 'oh i am so pandai and so mighty don't you dare play play with me' father who started to boss my staff around telling her that she's doing things wrong.

Suddenly he came puffing and huffing wanting to bring his son to HRPZ II. Apparently we are all idiots here in HTM. Well, good riddance and good luck mister!

Seriously lah...? How obtuse and how selfish and ridiculous can you be? A mother had just lost her 4 year old daughter to cancer and a pakcik is lying on the stretcher fighting for each breath and a kid just broke his thigh because of his stupid parent who couldn't be bothered to strap him with the seat belt (but that's another story) - get some perspective la.

It is people like this that make me hate my job sometimes. Thank god they are far and few between.

Roasted chicken wings, here I come....

4 comments:

BadRiza said...

Salaam, sue..sabar jela.. I bace pun geram... apa la orang tu, kan?
Ingat, apa2pun Allah tahu niat sue dan apa yang sue buat. I memang irritated selalu dgn org yang "cas bagus"...hehehe. Sabar, my fren...

hafizahmaha said...

It never fails to amaze me how some people think that they wld recieve better treatment in hkb. For all you know, driving a whole hour to kb would only mean further waiting for at least a couple of hours or so (on a fairly quiet day). Simple nose bleed would probably be seen by casualty mo if it doesn't warrant ent referral and more often than not they wld be discharged with no tca. True enough, they act like they know everything, but to our well trained though tired eyes, they're just another arrogant bas**** (si bodoh sombong). Fools can only fool themselves.

Sue Tiramisu said...

BadRiza-
Rambut sama hitam, hati lain2 Za. Nak buat macamana. Kitorg just buat kerja setakat mana boleh aje lah...

hafizahmaha-
I understand that he may have been concerned about his kid (he was a 27y.o. with HPT, hence the nose bleed) but was he not in the same A&E as we all were and not have seen the chaos and all the other ill patients? It is not as if we were lazing around sipping on hot tea and browsing through Avon catalogs?! How selfish and self centred can one get? Heck, the kid with the malignancy who was brought BID was lying there next to him, for God's sake, at least have some respect for a family's loss and grief.

wky9683 said...

Oh boy, that fellow came again? Slightly on the obese side? I referred him to HRPZ(II) the other day, newly diagnosed HPT I think. But no parents on that day, just the bugger and his friends. Packed him off for a ENT referral. BP was around 190/100-ish. He didn't listen to orders, packed him with gauze, he took them out but I managed to order a few I/M jabs on him so serve him right.