Friday, March 30, 2007

Childhood ambition revisited

I have never always wanted to be a doctor.

Seriously.

Do you remember when in primary school, teachers keep this 'rekod pelajar' and at the back, you're supposed to write your top three ambitions? I can't remember mine. The earliest memory of ever having something near to one is after I got my SRP results. It was okay la, I think. I remember getting a P7 for something. Serioussss. It's something I'd rather forget, okay. I really wanted to go into the Arts Stream. I wanted to learn all about Literature and writing and touching people's lives with words. Corny, kan? Hehe.

But my teachers weren't having any of this nonsense. Not that it mattered anyway as I had already applied to an MRSM and have been wanting to get away from that school ever since I moved there from Sarawak after form 1.

I love writing - I guess it's just a natural progression from my love of reading. Ma said when I was younger I used to spend all my time browsing through our Encyclopedia Britannica. When I had gotten through the whole set, I would rummage through my mother's school stuff in the store and find her old school books complete with 'ayer' and 'enchik' spellings.

My first serious novel was Badai Semalam. I was 8 when I found it somewhere. From the moment Mazni walked out of her school compounds and went home to her sick mother, I was hooked. Zaki was the ultimate hero - his undying love for Mazni was an inspiration and heart felt. I didn't think Karim was a true baddie. I would like to think that he did really love Mazni but maybe he was just not ready to commit to a marriage.

But anyhow, I digress. So, even as I went off to MRSM Kuantan (the best 2 years of my life!), I still harboured hopes of getting into writing - authoring or journalism. I enjoyed languages and participated in the malay debate, worked with the newsletter team and wrote a script for the college drama.

After my results came out (which, surprisingly, isn't a gazillion A1s by the way! Even got two C3s tau...gasp, horror horror! Hehehe) I got an offer to do the MARA Engineering course and also applied for the JPA scholarship. Ma wasn't hearing anything about me pursuing my love of writing. She said, you study to be a doctor first, if you love writing, you'll find a way to do it later. So I concurred to the veto power that is my mother, :) and went off to UK to study medicine. The rest, they say, is history.

Moral of this post? Mothers are always right and me thinks SPM is getting easier...haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always want to be a doctor. my father always want at least one of her children would become a doctor and my late grandfather always want a doctor in the family.

throughout my school years, i was always better in languages (both BM and english, even became best student in for bahasa melayu).

i struggle doing medicine (still studying now) that i always think, "i should have done something else!". since taking the course, i always feel intimidated by other smart students in the class.

although this evil thought comes and goes, i have no regret. in fact, i am grateful that i've been given the opportunity and i try to keep a positive outlook. i hope i'll become a doctor.

sila doakan saya ye...

Sue Tiramisu said...

Anon:-
I think the best thing is to always look on the bright side of things. I rarely look at my life and wonder about what would have been, sebab apa yg dah berlaku, dah tak boleh diubah dah, right?

Keep up the good spirits and having other interests apart from medicine will make you into a more interesting doc and person, y'knw!
All the best!