Saturday, May 05, 2007

Kesing invasion and my 'jonah'ness

I think I am gradually becoming more 'jonah'.

Seriously.

My calls are becoming more and more ridiculous each time. KKM doesn't pay me enough on call money la.

Anyhow, once in a while Tanah Merah gets invaded by these black bugs called 'kesing' - forgot to take pictures la, did I mention I was jonah last night? Hehe. They get EVERYWHERE and let out this pungent smell when squashed, which isn't really nice as they get all over and inevitably get stepped on.

I don't see 'kesing's outside Kelantan. My first experience with them was when I was a houseman in HKB. Last night there was a major invasion. These bugs were crawling up the wall, the glass doors and into cars. Euch. I really should have taken pictures but I was seriously too tired.

Last night's call was, in short, hell. Seriously. For the first time since my houseman days, I did not sleep a single wink. Not sleeping at all on a 24 hour call - NOT GOOD. Human rights association should really come here and fight for us doctors.

It has been busy since early morning and the previous day's MO was still in casualty. He'd just referred a case of septicaemic shock (which passed away on arrival) and in the middle of stabilising the internal bleeding case. On bed 2 was an asthma case which I proceeded to review.

In short, I had practically all possible emergency cases under the sun! From febrile fits (two cases at once at half three in the morning - have mercy on me!) to maggot infested abscess to fractures and appendicitis and snake bite and haemorrhagic stroke and head injury. Manala aku tak penat.

However, I'm delaying my nap this morning to gripe about t*****rs. What is about them that makes them feel that they are more superior than others? Is it because of the nature of their job, so called nurturing minds and what nots? A group of them came to my casualty last night. The patient is a head at a nearby s****l. He is unmarried, at a ripe old age of 53. Apparently he is a nice guy and all. He has been in my casualty since half five and it was nearing 11pm and MVA cases were coming in by the drove and I was desperate to figure out what was wrong with him so I could ship him off to where he should be. His blood sugar was on the high side and I wanted to test his pee. He had tried previously but then claimed had no urge. I wanted to catheterise him but despite insistence, totally refused - whimpering like a 5 year old kid.

I was tired, and I still had a long night ahead of me and I do not want to deal with this. I admit I might have raised my voice a little but if anything, it just proves that I am human. Only a non living thing would still be cheerful after working for more that 15 hours straight.

Later on my staff informed me that the patient expressed his displeasure with my unpleasant demeanour. Yang kelakarnya, a few of his colleagues actually went up to my nurse and asked her what my husband worked as and other personal question? Amenda korang nie....? Takde kerja lain ke nak buat nak busybody pasal hal peribadi aku?

I left him in the ward this morning, in the care of my freshly back from honeymoon colleague and hopefully she is in a clearer mind to find out what is wrong and what to do next.

After running up and down and across, at half four a patient in ward collapsed. He was well underway by the time I rushed to the ward. I still can't figure out the exact cause of death.

I'm getting dizzy now. Maybe I should get my sleep......zzzzzzzz

2 comments:

dobbs said...

Kesian. Hope you have a good rest this weekend!

Sue Tiramisu said...

Dobbs - slept straight from noon till 5, tak sedar apa. A herd of elephants could be marching next door and I wouldn't be roused.

Seriously, they should market on calls as sleep enhancers. Hehehe.