Monday, August 20, 2007

Miss Irritability

...is what I should be called.

Urgh, sometimes I hate me.

In this extra easily irritated mood that I am, most of the time I will find the typical Malaysian highly annoying.

Take, for example the two hooligans on a bike in my kampung earlier this evening, zipping around at a break neck speed and even SPITTING as they drove past.

Or the nyonya who was gardening at her road side house near the pasar malam just now. Abg and I had just parked our car and was about to get off when this nyonya nonchalantly picked off some random plastic bags and newspaper that was caught in her flower bushes and THREW THEM INTO THE PUBLIC DRAIN! I gave her my most menacing glare and said out loud enough for her to hear, how some people are so inconsiderate that they would throw rubbish into the longkang and then moan very loudly when the next rainstorm comes and the roads get flooded. On top of that I even pointed to her as I told Abg about it. She was picking off the wilted papaya leaves as I caught her eye and I am glad to report that those papaya leaves didn't end up in the drain.

Or what about this group of boys in the red Kancil in front of us - DAE 5**6 - whose driver had no qualms about throwing out of his car window an empty bottle. Eeeeiii, membara betul aku!

I remember, when I was younger, Ma taught us to never throw rubbish simply anywhere. If there wasn't a rubbish bin around, I was to hold on to whatever sweet wrapper, tissue or bottle that I had until I found a suitable place to dispose of them. The habit stayed with me well into my adulthood; something which is lacking in a lot of people I meet.

Yes, it is common sense but even common sense have to be taught before it becomes COMMON. Parents are the ones who have the perfect opportunity to teach kids black is black and that white is white. LIFE will take care of the rest and teach them about the many shades of grey. Tapi, without the understanding of the basics, there is no foundation to lay anything on, so when parents have failed, how do they expect outsiders to teach what is right?

I remember this incident, about two years ago. I was queueing up to pay for an item at a cashier in JJ. This teeny cutie came up to the queue and waddled up to the counter and held up the toy that she was going to pay for. Serious, she was holding the cash in her hands and everything. Anyhow, I was next in line (and not being in the Miss Irritability mood that day, thank god...hehe) and was more than happy to let her pay. After all, budak kecik la kannn, apa la dia tau. But the next moment, I heard her mother's voice, calling her name and telling her to queue up just like everyone else. The mother wasn't shouting, it was very tactfully done; voice just stern enough to let the kid know that Mummy means business and this is something you should remember for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE kinda tone, y'know? I tabik spring to the lady and the kid was soooo adorable too!

I guess, until people learn more manners and parents become more committed to teaching their young uns, I guess I'm just gonna hold on to my Miss Irritability sash and go on giving people my menacing glare....hehehe.....

No comments: