Sunday, March 05, 2006

Of quiz shows and pingpong balls


One of the few things that I enjoyed while I was studying in the UK was watching 'telly' :). Right from watching Cilla Black on Blind Date (i wonder if they still have that?) every Saturday evening while in form six at Walthamstow Hall to watching Cilla Black on 'The Moment of Truth' while I was in Belfast (I hated the part when the kids start to cry) - British telly became part of my routine. I sound sad, yeah? But it's usually too cold out in Belfast and I'm usually too broke (being a scholarship student who relied only on my 'paycheck' once every three months) to go for movies every week. and I kinda tell myself that I study better with my tv on..heehee..

I love the quiz shows (from William G Stewart to Richard Whiteley and Carol Vorderman), the DIY shows and the talk shows (Ricki Lake, Jerry Springer, Montel, Sally, the Kumars) and the cooking shows (Can't Cook, Won't Cook; Ready, Steady, Cook).




Ainsley is famous for his 'gelek' while he stirs his concoction.

In this show, two contestants bring random ingredients that could be bought at any supermarket. There's usually a set amount, usually 4 quid, occasionally higher. They meet their celebrity chefs and explain to the audience why they bought the stuff they bought. Then, in 20 minutes, the celebrity chefs have to think up a few recipes based on those items and actually cook them on live tv! :) Let's see Chef Wan or Chef Ismail do THAT!

My other favourite TV programme is The Graham Norton Show. Somebody get me his DVD please!! :) I just love his campiness, his forthrightness and his so naughty Irish smile! Once, to celebrate the New Year, he invited this 'artist' who could shoot ping pong balls from her, um, nether regions, if you get what I mean...

Some people don't get British humour, but I just love it. Give me Graham Norton over Anita anytime!

No comments: