Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mish Mash and everything thrown in

I
There is a quiet satisfaction seeing all of my Abg's work clothes lined up in the closet all ironed and nice and ready to wear. I've just realised that all his clothes are either tan, white or a shade of blue. Must do something about that.



II
Cats are getting a new furniture next week. Was browsing through the net when I found this:



Apparently it's a reject item from the online store and they are selling it cheap because it has a defect at the opening of the 'penthouse'. I think normally it would probably be selling about RM70-RM80 but I am getting it for less than RM45 plus postage! What a steal!

III
Cari.com.my has been redoing their forums and have been busy translating their board titles from English to Malay. Apparently "Preconception, Pregnancy and Postnatal" is "Pratanggapan, Kehamilan dan Post-Natal". They have translated "Repair and Troubleshooting" as "Baiki dan Pencarisilapan".

Hmm. Is PENCARISILAPAN a real word?

IV
Yesterday was masak-masak day. I dragged Abg to the nearest supermarket to get some ingredients and this was the result.

Puding Rainbow Blackmore

Ingredients:
26g of powder jelly. Apparently a pack is 13g. The alternative is one packet of 37.5 gram of stringy agar-agar.
8 medium sized eggs.
420g sugar. - The original recipe said this was too sweet so I reduced it to 400g but it was a little too 'tawar' to pass off as a desert so I say, stick to 420g.
130g butter
2 tablespoon custard powder
1 tin of evaporated milk (susu cair, of which Ideal is the most commonly seen brand) - I used the large tin
1350ml of water
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cocoa powder - mix with some water to dilute
Food colouring.

First - boil the agar-agar with the water and sugar. If you think the agar2 is taking a long time to dissolve, don't worry, it will once the mixture has come to a boil. But if there's still some floating around, do sieve them out. Put aside.

Then mix the eggs, custard powder and milk in a bowl.

Add the egg mixture into the boiled agar-agar and bring to boil once more.

Add vanilla and butter. Make sure the butter has dissolved before turning off the heat.

Divide the mix into three. Add the cocoa into one. Put red and green colouring into the other two.

You must work relatively quickly from this point onwards as the agar-agar mix will start to harden.

Take a 9'x9' baking tray (about 3 inch deep) and place one side on a book or something so that it is lying on an incline. The layering is probably best illustrated by the following piccies, courtesy of MakLang from Cari.com.my.



I used coffee instead of cocoa and the extra sweetness would have been welcomed to counter the bitterness. But it turned out well and for once I now know the exact measurement of water to make my agar-agar!


This is my version.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey doc, just wondering if you could let me know the online store's url. i pun nak beli satu for my cats.

cheers.

Sue Tiramisu said...

A,
I got this via Lelong.com.my. The store was selling it off cheap because of the defect.

Anyway, the store is www.catsndogs.my if you're interested in having a look....