Thursday, October 02, 2008

My Raya rant

It is official. People here are crazy.

You must be crazy if you waited for 5 days, even drove all the way from the north to the east coast with your child having fever and then came to our casualty along with all the other crazy people and decided to go home when the doctor have advised your child to be admitted and then, decided to come at 12 midnight for admission!

You must be crazy if your child is 10 days old and you claim she has been having fever for the past 10 days yet when we wanted to take some blood, you refused to do so.

You must be crazy if you kept an abscess for four days and then came on the one day when all other clinics are closed for the festivities.

You must be crazy if you have had a headache for 4 days and couldn't sleep yet you came on a public holiday requesting to be admitted.

You must be crazy if you have registered with 30 other patients and you expect to be called within the next 5 mins and when you weren't you kept pestering my staff 'lambat lagi ke?' - yes, we are having a food fest and warm baths inside here instead of running all over the place trying to resuscitate babies and setting lines. Some were even crazier so as to have the balls to come inside and CHECK if there are vacant beds and perhaps we were purposely making you wait.

The theme of the day was children with fever and abdominal pain with loose stool. Yes, if you have been fasting during the day for the past month and then decided that you will gorge yourself with all the variety of food possible, of course your stomach will protest! Aiyohh.....

It is now half 2 in the morning and finally all the crazy people have subsided. For the moment, that is.

Selamat Hari Raya everyone.

p/s: of course by this post I am not calling my patients crazy. It's just my feeble attempt at making light of the situation I am in. Deep down, I really do enjoy having them come after having one week of fever or three weeks of poor oral intake and being dry as Sahara. Seriously.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be crazy too for layaning all these people and working at this late hour (but I suppose it's not by choice eh?) Selamat Raya!! xx

Anonymous said...

PA you are allowed to call your patients crazy. Mine are too but then anyone is if they want to go to hospital. I am too as I love being in hospital xx

Anonymous said...

Selamat Hari Raya, inspite of all
this craziness i am sure you find
the satisfaction of menjalankan
tugas. Take care of yourself,
capek nanti.

inderjeet kaur
jakarta

DBI said...

on call di hari raya kah??..salam aidil fitri

Sue Tiramisu said...

Zaiti-
Yes, I've long deduced that I am crazy because despite all this I (sometimes) love my job....

Inderjeet-
Hm, you sound like me before I became an MO.....hmmmm....but yes, this is a job where satisfaction is guaranteed.

DBI-
Tak dapat tangkap la kenapa dah ke luar negara...? ikut isteri sambung belajar ke? dah fed up dgn keadaan di mesia ke?

A'ah - volunteer oncall sebab nak cuti lepas raya. Tahun nie Kelantan ngn T'ganu cuti raya jadi 4 hari sambung ngn Jum + Sabtu.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Checked out all the cases that came in on the 1st day, I'm thanking my stars that I wasn't oncall, although I should be until someone took it, *nudge nudge wink wink*
Linda + Aza also had a bad 2nd day, had 2 redzone cases simultaneously, accompanying patient for CT scan and all that thingamabob.
My 3rd day (LRoom) had a grand total of 4 patients plus 1 baby. Casualty was busy but tolerable. Am I rubbing it in, I guess I am. Haha! Dang!

Well, enjoy your prolonged holiays post Raya. You need it. Recharge your batteries, buy a pair of shoes, maybe 2. Haha! And I think it's time to book the spa for some 'mandi bunga'.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot. It is human to think that patients are crazy, they really are, otherwise they wouldn't submit themselves to be checked by us, the 'insane' ones. The ones who spent 5 years of our life struggling with medical books and then graduating with nothing in our heads.

Actually, how can anyone go through the day without being a little bit crazy. Haha!

Sue Tiramisu said...

WKY,
Agree with you on the 2nd comment-if only our patients knew how much we 'goreng' them and how much we rely on luck most of the time.

BTW-heard brother of guy with headache who requested admission after 4 days of not sleeping had been hinting on lodging a complaint about the two female MOs who were on call on first day Raya. Pah! Meh sini aku bagi kau sebijik dua....

Whoa, i think Aza and Linda win hands down. Actually we weren't too bad apart from the numbers - there was only one case who didn't really need resus but the MO in KB requested the baby be intubated. One patient passed away but it was expected.

All in a day's work lah I guess.

Amy said...

Doc, Selamat Raya :). I love your posting on Abang below..rasa macam I pun 'cakap' dgn my abang with teary eyes.. It just amused me how much patience my husband has with me :P

Sue Tiramisu said...

WKY
Apparently, not hinting - i heard he has already lodged in a complaint. Ah well - nasib lahhhhh

Roti Kacang Merah said...

....and i thought us yang dok travel 18 jam ni gila... banyak lagi umat lagi gila kat luar tu... aiyok, sabbbbbar je lahhhh. ish.

hey hope you had a great break, ey?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and our wonderful pengarah invited the MA involved to APOLOGIZE to him (the said brother). Seems like it wasn't much of your fault, his brother wanted to ask why did they ask the brother whether he took drugs or not. He's a TEACHER for god sakes', he says we're showing disrespect to the teaching profession.

Well, when you have a TEACHER who looks like a drug addict, no wonder our teaching standards are falling. Haha!

Don't worry about it. All settled. So is your claim form. Relax and enjoy your holiday. Oh I forgot, you're coming back to work tomorrow.
Haha! I hope we don't get 'dooced'.