Friday, February 20, 2009

Malisa loves Twilight



I had seen this book at the bookshops a few months before the movie was released. After Buffy and Angel, I thought, oh no not another one of those forbidden love between human and vampire rehash?! So, I dismissed it as another teen fantasy romance of which I am sure I am too mature and too old for.

Somehow, during one of my trips back home, I went out with my two brothers and we decided to watch this film.

and this so called mature, happily married, makcik mulut-laser-tak-hengat joined the bandwagon of I love Edward Cullen fan club.

Seriously.

Perhaps it was because I had absolutely no expectations towards the movie that I ended up with such a reaction. I remember while the credits were rolling and people were making their way out of the cinema, this girl sitting behind us shouted 'What a waste of ten dollars!' and I was thinking what? Did you not see the same Edward Cullen I did??!!

So I decided to get the book and see what the fuss was all about. I recall reading somewhere a book critic had labelled Meyer's book as self indulgent and I thought, surely something that bad can't have stayed on the NYT's best seller's list for so long.

Firstly, I didn't like Bella. To me she lacked personality. She has brought this gorgeous, Adonis like creature to his knees and I just can't see why apart from her smelling nice.

Secondly, you know this is total fantasy when Edward Cullen is protrayed as how he is. There is this line that he says in the book, when Bella asks him whether he finds her attractive in 'that' way and Edward says "I may be a monster but I am a man." A man who spends half of his time in anguish about his new found love and the other half TALKING about his feelings. Uh-huh. Someone build a robot of Edward Cullen and MAN (as in the gender) may actually cease to exist.

There is nothing as salivating as knowing that a man is in so much pain over wanting you; that the smell of your hair can easily tip him off the edge. I guess that was the winning formula the writer adhered to and hey, it worked.

Still, despite snippets of incredulousity, it was a good enough book for me to while away the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

twilight??? you bought the book? yang ni yang 3 trilogy ker... ??? i tengok jugak movie ni pasal my frend recommended this.. but once i tengok.. err cam tennage love story jer kan... i can't wait for the last trilogy of this story... heheheheh diorang kata yang second punya cam boring sket pasal scene edward tu cam tak banyak... kui!

shida..

kucing you camner dah ok ker? now my cat lagi sekor plak sakit... ni nak bawak dia pegi animal medical centre kat subang plak.. maybe infection or terkejut kena bantai ngan kucing jantan lain kot.. hiks..

Sue Tiramisu said...

Shida,
Actually ada 4 buku and apparently more coming. There is New Moon, Eclipse and satu lagi apa tah....I've only read Twilight, itupun kena gi Kuantan okey!

Anak2 I sekrg kuat berkurap lah... sapu kat tinger, naik kat kaki, sapu kat kaki, naik kat muka...nak gi cucuk kurap pun kecik lagi....takut jangkit habis, letih la nak gi cucuk rm20 satu jarum, I ada 10 ekor lebih nie...