Sunday, July 16, 2006

Childhood revisited


Conference, schmonference - tapi, ronda-ronda buat jugak...hehehe.
Ipoh will always be special to me. I was born there. I spent a part of my growing up years there. I learnt of comradeship, of laughter and sorrow, of childhood innocence and when my only worry was when I forgot my homework or if Yanie tattled on me. We lived in no. 15, Tkt Pasir Putih 4 from ever since I could remember until we left for Kuching, Sarawak. I remember Tan Ee Lyn lived a few streets from me and that Stephanie Choo lived at Sinfar Garden; her house facing the small 'padang' across the main road.

Map in hand, I guided Abang to my childhood home. So much has changed in Ipoh, but I could still remember the pagoda that we used to pass by on our way to school. The Yamaha music school has now become a Sen Heng outlet. I remember having to go through the smelly 'pasar' on the way to Super Kinta. Yik Foong still stands. The railway station looks as majestic as ever. I forgot to ask Ma where MGS stood, kalau tak, I would have gone there too.

I think the slanted building near Jusco used to be a market. It's now been converted to a shopping arcade of sorts. As I passed the Jalan Gopeng roundabout on my way to the Royal Casuarina, the yellow crown shaped fountain made more and more childhood memories flood back. In the car, I kept repeating "I remember that!" - I think Abang pun boring dah...:)



In front of HillCity Homes, near the temples, is this row of pomelo stalls. As I stepped out of the car, eager faces of pomelo sellers greeted me. Intimidating tau! I avoided all eye contact and rushed to the nearest stall. Two minutes and two slices of pomelos later, I was already back in the car. Aunty pomelo seller must be thanking her lucky stars to get such fuss-free customers. Note to self-must learn the art of haggling from Ma. Abang is just as bad at shopping. He just goes straight for the things he wants and pays.



I managed to stop by at Bonda's Cafe and Restaurant, whose owner is a family acquaintance. Best giler her cafe, ok? Anyone in the Ipoh town vicinity, do stop by. Her lunch time deal of nasi campur is very the sedap and very the murah. I ordered Shrek, a concoction of banana, green apple and ice cream. Nice. Tapi, so difficult to get parking one lahhhh.....First time I passed by, pusing tiga kali but no parking but I was determined to see Kira that I got Abang to drive me there again the next day.



Ingat nak masuk diam2, makan diam2 and pay diam2 AND THEN baru cari the owner, tapi the moment I stepped into the kedai, she already recognised me....Apa laaaa. Thanks Kira for the fantastic lunch! Next time I bawak my whole family ahh...?



Our last (unintended) stop was Cameron Highlands. I was surprised at how near it is to Ipoh! Tapi the jalanraya very squiggly lah. It took only about 45 mins to reach Blue Valley (junction Gua Musang - Kampung Raja) where we found this shop where we could 'Pluck your own strawberries!'. It turned out every other shop was doing the same thing....:) One shop even had giant replicas of strawberries along the perimetres of the store. Tak plan nak naik Cameron pun, but we made the silly mistake of not fuelling up before leaving Ipoh so we had to go to Brinchang to get petrol.

Then it was another hour and a half to Gua Musang and a most welcome late lunch at my SIL's house in Tanah Merah where the strawberries were greeted with much excitement.

Sampai je rumah, I was so exhausted that I didn't catch the moment Lotter was voted out of AF. Sis Yaya must be jumping with joy at home.