Friday, July 07, 2006

Marilah mak...!

I was faced with this incident about two weeks ago I think. You know escalators? I guess most of us don't give them a second look, purring slowly up and down those departmental store floors. That day I was waiting for Abang while he was withdrawing money. Coincidentally the ATM was placed between 2 escalators.

Then came this - kakak I think. She didn't look that old. I remember vividly her yellow baju kurung and faded kain batik. Her 7, maybe 8 year-old son was trying to persuade her to go onto the moving steel steps. Her hesitation and fear was almost painful to watch. People were rushing left and right, getting past her, stepping effortlessly in sync with the mobile stairs. She started to step off but then hesitated. Again she tried but the fear of something so alien to her must have been too much.

The son got on, as if trying to convince the mother how harmless the act is but she was not persuaded and I nearly cried as I looked at the son stepping down against the direction of the escalators trying to reach his mother. Finally the mother waved at her son, telling him to go without her, she will be waiting downstairs.

We tend to take a lot of things for granted; our health, financial stability, our parents, friendships - the ability to get on escalators. As I held Abang's hands as we went on with our weekly shopping trip, I hope I will always remember the kakak in the yellow baju kurung and be thankful for what I have been given.

1 comment:

Lin said...

Kesiannya kakak tuh.

yea... we do take things for granted. We often forget that some things maybe easy for us, but difficult for others.